Trump threatens to bomb Oman if US actions in Hormuz are blocked
Donald Trump warned of bombing Oman if it hinders US measures in the Strait of Hormuz, amid tense talks between Iran and Oman over the vital waterway.
Key Takeaways
AIUS broadcaster Fox News reported Monday that former President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman if it obstructed American actions in the Strait of Hormuz, responding to a question about ongoing talks between Tehran and Muscat on arrangements for the vital global energy corridor.
Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst said he asked Trump about the negotiations between Iran and Oman, to which Trump replied: "If there is any obstruction from Oman, we will bomb them heavily."
The correspondent explained in remarks published on his channel's X account that "the president is warning Oman not to interfere with the US maritime blockade and American efforts to control the Strait of Hormuz."
In recent days, Trump has repeatedly claimed that the United States "controls" the Strait of Hormuz, even suggesting it could be declared American territory.
Iranian officials have rejected these statements, insisting that Tehran will continue to assert its control over Hormuz.
Iran has effectively closed the strait since the Middle East war began following a US-Israeli attack on it on February 28.
In response to Iran's continued restrictions on navigation in the strait, the United States imposed a blockade on Iranian ports.
The strait and the future of maritime traffic through it have become major points of contention between Washington and Tehran amid the ongoing Middle East conflict. Iran insists that navigation will not return to previous norms and must be under its supervision, in coordination with Oman, which also borders the waterway.
Tehran maintains that shipping should follow a northern route it has designated along its coast, rejecting a southern route proposed by Muscat. The two sides are holding talks to agree on a new passage.
In early August, Tehran announced it had reached an agreement with Oman on a new shipping route, but Iranian sources told local media that reopening the strait would depend on Washington's actions, as the US maintains its blockade of Iranian ports.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei confirmed that talks with Oman are ongoing and "serious."
He said at his weekly press conference: "Views are being exchanged on the text of the joint declaration, and both sides have so far shown determination to establish a mechanism that serves their interests, addresses their concerns, and considers issues related to international navigation."
"Raise the white flag"
Trump has repeated his call for Iran to "surrender," according to the Fox News correspondent.
The reporter noted that the former US president said, "Iran must raise the white flag of surrender," adding that he is in no rush to reach a deal to end the war with the Islamic Republic.
Recently, Trump has hinted at a shift in US strategy toward Iran, focusing on ramping up economic pressure rather than launching new military strikes, as the war remains unpopular among Americans ahead of the November midterm elections.
Yingst also quoted Trump as confirming there is a communication channel with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which Washington designates as a "terrorist organization."
He added: "They are skilled poker players, but they are dying."
