Skip to content
Saturday, August 22, 2026 · Riyadh
العربيةNewsletterContact
World

Pentagon dismisses Stars and Stripes publisher, editors over insubordination

The Pentagon has fired three senior staff at Stars and Stripes, including its publisher, editor-in-chief, and Middle East correspondent, citing insubordination.

Ajel News1 hour ago · 1 min read
Stars and Stripes newspaper staff dismissed by Pentagon

Key Takeaways

AI

The US Department of Defense has dismissed three senior staff members at the military newspaper Stars and Stripes, including its publisher, editor-in-chief, and Middle East correspondent, on charges of insubordination.

Those dismissed include publisher Max Lederer, editor-in-chief Erik Slavin, and Middle East correspondent Lara Court.

Slavin and Court participated without authorization in a segment of a program aired last month that discussed Pentagon efforts to restructure the newspaper, while Lederer refused leadership directives to lay off journalists.

Commenting on the decision, Slavin said in an interview with CBS that imposing censorship on news intended for service members would be a red line. He added, "The Pentagon accused me of insubordination, but I stand by the newspaper's independence."

Court also commented, saying, "Today I was informed that the Department of Defense is dismissing me for insubordination, after I told a CBS reporter that I work for the newspaper, not the Pentagon."

Comments (0)