The Saudi embassy in Bangladesh has announced it is suspending work in the South Asian country due to a total lockdown imposed there due to a spike in COVID-19 infections.
Bangladeshi authorities have said that a nationwide lockdown; except emergency services; will start in the country as of Monday; June 28; due to an alarming surge in Delta variant cases of COVID-19.
“Work at the embassy will be suspended until the curfew is removable;” the embassy said on Twitter.
The Bangladeshi government said that all public and private offices will close down for a week. Going outdoors during this period will be for medical and emergency reasons only.
Police forces will deploy to enforce the lockdown; which was announced after health authorities in the country reported 108 virus-related deaths; Bangladesh’s highest in a single day since April 12.
Bangladesh has so far registered a total of 883;138 virus cases and 14;053 related deaths.