Saudi Arabia extended on Monday the suspension of praying in the Grand Mosque and Prophet’s Mosque during Ramadan. This is to stem the spread of the coronavirus, the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques’ Affairs said on Twitter.
The two mosques, the holiest places in Islam, will have Ramadan prayers but without worshippers. This is as a precautionary measure and to intensify disinfection operations, the presidency added on Twitter.
Ramadan will begin later this week.
Last week, Saudi Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdulaziz Al al-Sheikh said that Muslim prayers during Ramadan and for the subsequent Eid al-Fitr feast should be at home if the coronavirus outbreak continues.
Saudi Arabia in mid-March stopped people performing their five daily prayers and the weekly Friday prayer inside mosques. This was a part of efforts to limit the spread of the coronavirus.
On Thursday, the Prophet’s Mosque in the holy city of Madinah said it was banning events which dispense evening meals in the mosque to those in need during Ramadan to break their daily fast.